Two Categories: Fiction & Creative Nonfiction
Dates of submission: September 15, 2017 to February 1, 2018
In memory of 2015 nonfiction winner and longtime NCW member, Jerry Eckert, a scholarhip fund has been set up in his honor. To learn more about his extraordinary life and to donate, please click here.
First Place: $1000.
**Please read guidelines carefully and thoroughly as some rules have changed. Failure to properly submit entry per guidelines may result in disqualification and your entry fee will be forfeited.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES: Fiction
- You do not need to be a member of NCW or in Colorado to enter.
- The contest is open to unpublished (self-published counts as published), novel-length fiction of any genre. Word count of finished manuscript must be at least 50K.
- Please note: at this time, we are not accepting short story or poetry collections.
- Authors may be previously published, as long as the submission is an unpublished work (self-published counts as published).
- Submissions must be author’s original work.
- NCW reserves the right to exclude any works deemed obscene, libelous, defamatory, threatening, pornographic, or racially or ethnically offensive.
- Authors need not attend Conference to win.
- A shortlist of the top 20 fiction entries will be announced on or around March 15, 2018.
- One of the literary agents (TBD) attending the 2018 Conference will read the top 20 and select our winner.
- If you have any questions before submitting, please contact Jennifer Top, contest coordinator, at TOM [at] northerncoloradowriters.com
HOW TO SUBMIT
- Submission must include a synopsis of 800 words or less and the first 25 pages of the manuscript (the first 25 pages should not include the title page or dedication).
- Submission must be sent electronically to TOM[at]northerncoloradowriters.com. In one email attach two separate documents:
1. Cover page: Author’s name, mailing address, email address, book title, and genre. (Inclusion of author name on the manuscript will result in disqualification. Only the cover sheet should have your name.) Document must be saved as: [TITLE] Cover Page (i.e. THE AWAKENING Cover Page).
2. First 25 pages and the synopsis together in second document; manuscript must be first, then synopsis. Document must be saved as: [TITLE] (i.e. THE AWAKENING).
- Manuscript must be formatted per standard industry guidelines:
- Font: Times New Roman, 12 pt, black font only
- 1-inch margins all around. Ragged right margins
- Header: Title and genre on left, page number on right or at the bottom of the page
- Note: Do not end manuscript submission with an unfinished sentence.
- Failure to properly format may result in disqualification.
- Submissions must be in English.
- Fee for entry is $20. Authors may submit multiple entries, but each must include entry fee.
- Important: Once a manuscript is submitted, you cannot send a revised or “new version” to replace original submission. You may withdraw your submission, but you will forfeit your entry fee and will be required to pay another entry fee should you resubmit. If you are disqualified for not following all the entry rules, you can resubmit after making corrections. You will need to pay a new entry fee. Please read instructions carefully before submitting.
- Synopsis, including plot and character arcs
- Beginning hook--how well does the story grab the reader?
- Plot, pacing, and sense of story
- Originality and voice
- POV--is it clear, appropriate to the story, and consistent?
- Mechanics--spelling, punctuation, grammar
- Placement in correct genre
- Correct formatting
Submission Steps: Fiction
- Read and follow Submission Guidelines (Print off and use as checklist)
- Format manuscript correctly (Read Submission Guidelines *CAREFULLY*)
- Write the title of manuscript in the box and pay $20 entry fee (click button below) Please indicate in your email if your PayPal user name is different than submission name.
- Email submission to: TOM [at] northerncoloradowriters.com -- CLOSED