Two Categories: Fiction & Creative Nonfiction
Dates of submission: September 15, 2016 to February 1, 2017
$1000 AWARDED TO EACH CATEGORY WINNER!
SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW CLOSED FOR THE 2017 AWARD
The winners will be announced May 5, 2017 during dinner at the NCW 12th Annual Writer's Conference. Attendance at the conference is not required. Finalists will be able to attend the Friday Night Banquet Dinner on May 5, 2017 free of charge.
In memory of 2015 nonfiction winner and longtime NCW member, Jerry Eckert, a scholarhip fund has been set up in his honor. To learn more about his extraordinary life and to donate, please click here.
First Place: certificate and $1000 and an opportunity to have a literary agent review your submission.
**Please read guidelines carefully and thoroughly as some rules have changed. Failure to properly submit entry per guidelines may result in disqualification and your entry fee will be forfeited.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES: Fiction
- You do not need to be a member of NCW or in Colorado to enter.
- The contest is open to unpublished novel-length fiction of any genre. Word count of finished manuscript must be at least 50K.
- Manuscript must be unpublished from time of submission to conference date. Please contact us immediately if your submission is accepted for publication. Your submission must be withdrawn, but you will receive your entry fee back.
- Please note: at this time, we are not accepting short story or poetry collectives.
- Authors may be previously published, as long as the submission is an unpublished work (self-published counts as published).
- Submissions must be author’s original work
- NCW reserves the right to exclude any works deemed obscene, libelous, defamatory, threatening, pornographic, or racially or ethnically offensive.
- Authors need not attend conference to win.
- Judges are experienced critiquers and authors. Each entry will be evaluated by 1-3 judges, using a standardized score sheet. Judges' decisions are final.
- Entrants will receive 2 critique/score sheet with comments from judges.
- Finalists will be notified by email or telephone on or around March 15, 2017.
- If you have any questions before submitting, please contact Jennifer Top, contest coordinator, at TOM[at]northerncoloradowriters.com
HOW TO SUBMIT
- Submission must include a full one-page single-spaced synopsis and the first twenty-five pages of the manuscript.
- DO NOT include title page or dedication page.
- Submission must be sent electronically to TOM[at]northerncoloradowriters.com. In one email attach two separate documents:
- Cover page: Author’s name, book title, genre, and email address. (Inclusion of author name on the manuscript will result in disqualification. Only cover sheet should have your name.) Document must be saved as: [TITLE] Cover Page (i.e. THE AWAKENING Cover Page).
- First 25 pages and the synopsis together in second document; manuscript must be first, then synopsis. Document must be saved as: [TITLE] (i.e. THE AWAKENING).
- Manuscript must be formatted per standard industry guidelines:
- Font: Times New Roman, 12 pt, black ink only.
- 1-inch margins all around. Ragged right margins.
- Double spaced.
- Header: Title and genre on left, page number on right or at the bottom of the page.
- Note: Do not end manuscript submission with an unfinished sentence.
- Failure to properly format may result in disqualification.
- Submissions must be in English.
- Fee for entry is $25. Authors may submit multiple entries, but each must include entry fee.
- Important: Once a manuscript is submitted, you cannot send a revised or “new version” to replace original submission. You may withdraw your submission, but you will forfeit your entry fee and will be required to pay another entry fee should you resubmit. If you are disqualified for not following all the entry rules, you can resubmit after making corrections. You will need to pay a new entry fee. Please read instructions carefully before submitting.
Judging criteria: (on a scale of 1-10, 100 points possible)
- Synopsis, including plot and character arcs
- Beginning hook – how well does the story grab the reader?
- Plot, pacing, and sense of story
- Originality and voice
- POV–is it clear, appropriate to the story, and consistent?
- Mechanics -- spelling, punctuation, grammar
- Placement in correct genre
- Correct formatting
Submission Steps: Fiction
- Read and follow Submission Guidelines (Print off and use as checklist)
- Format manuscript correctly (Read Submission Guidelines *CAREFULLY*)
- Write the title of manuscript in the box and pay $25 entry fee (click button below) Please indicate in your email if your PayPal user name is different than submission name.
- Email submission to: TOM @ northerncoloradowriters.com -- CLOSED